A clear indication of the aims of the project must be the starting point for consideration of multimedia projects. The purpose of the project will have a direct bearing on the scope and content of the multimedia publication. Initial meetings should endeavour to clarify the aims, content and intended readership.
In many cases, the experience of the project manager is relied upon to identify these criteria. It is essential to reduce any possible misunderstandings between project sponsors and the development team, and a way of achieving this would be to perform a requirement analysis at the outset. Sample questionnaires for project sponsors can be found in Annex 3. The questions focus on areas that not only determine the scope and content but will also aid in determining the expectations. These questionnaires should allow the project manager to:
- define the target audience
- determine the target audience's resources
- determine the project sponsors' aims
- determine the content
- determine existing content that needs to be incorporated
- determine any pre-conceived ideas of the project deliverables.